Monday, January 5, 2009

Hangin' with vampires

Well, happy new year! It's been a while since I've updated my blog. I am online looking for a copy of "Breaking Dawn" on CraigsList and thought that I'd pop over here while I had a moment.
As you can see from the subject of this post, I have picked up a new series of books... a series that I am shocked to say I like MORE than the Harry Potter series. (For those of you who know me well, that is saying A - LOT!)
I remember the first time I heard the title "Twilight." It was back in August when Warner Brother's moved the release of "Half-Blood Prince" from Nov. 21, 2008 to July 17, 2009. I was LIVID and swore that I would never see the movie that took it's slot. That movie being "Twilight."

I hated it. I knew nothing about it, but I hated it.
Fast forward to just before Thanksgiving. I was flipping through the channels one morning and landed on "Live with Regis and Kelly." Rob Pattison was on so I stopped. (Pattison played Cedric Diggory in "Goblet of Fire" so I was wondering what he was doing now ...) Well, they were talking about his new movie ... "Twilight" ... and that it was about a coven of vampires.
Now, I have always had a thing for vampires. ALWAYS. The works of Bram Stoker and Anne Rice? Got 'em. Fan of shows like "Kindred: The Embraced" and such? You bet? So, when the 'V' word came up, it piqued my curiosity. So, I began to ask around but no one I worked with had read it. I was even more intrigued by the book displays I saw while Christmas shopping. But, as always, I vowed NOT to shop for myself until after Christmas.
Well, I saw the first book, "Twilight," at Books-a-Million when I was at the Mall last Monday (Dec. 29th) so I bought it. I started reading it Monday night ... and read the whole damned thing. I sent Andy out to buy the second book, "New Moon," on Friday (Jan. 2). I read that sucker in one night, too. I ended up making a quick run to Wal-Mart last night (Jan. 4th) to nab a copy of the third book, "Eclipse." And yes, I've finished it. I have been looking all over town for the fourth book, "Breaking Dawn," all evening and can't find it anywhere. URGH!
Those books are freaking awesome! I love a book (or series of books) that takes me to another place ... a book that I simply can't put down. And Stephanie Meyer has gotten my attention (and my money) very quickly. She and J.K. Rowling top my list of favorite authors right there with Anne Rice.
I think that I might even sneak out tomorrow night after the girls are asleep and hit the theater for the late showing of the movie.
Anyway, I've got to go .... pardon the pun .... hunting! I have a book to find. Have a very happy new year!

No comments: