Wednesday, January 7, 2009

As If I needed another reason to love Stephanie Meyer ...

... it seems that the author of the book series that knocked Potter to my no. 2 slot is a GATOR!

I was shocked to see the University of Florida mentioned in book three, "Eclipse." On page 70 of the hardback version, Charlie greets Bella when she returns to Forks, Wa. after visiting her mother in Jacksonville, Fla.:

"Welcome home, kid!" Charlie shouted like he really meant it. "How was Jacksonville?"

"Moist. And buggy."

"So Renee didn't sell you on the University of Florida?"

"She tried. But I'd rather drink water than inhale it."

I was taken aback a little. (Any thing about the foundation for the Gator Nation gets my attention!)

Well, I was reading the e-book version of the fourth book, "Breaking Dawn," last night. The vampire Emmitt Cullen is watching a college football game while Bella is visitng with her father on the other side of the room. The entire Cullen clan is there and the atmosphere is, well, tense.

Then, page 295 of the ebook made me literally laugh out loud. The passage is below.


Jacob grinned. "Everything's going to be great, Charlie. Just try to not believe anything you see."

My dad mumbled something unintelligible.

"Woo!" Emmett suddenly boomed in his deep bass. "Go Gators!"

Jacob and Charlie jumped. The rest of us froze.

Charlie recovered, then looked at Emmett over his shoulder. "Florida winning?"

"Just scored the first touchdown," Emmett confirmed. He shot a look in my direction, wagging his eyebrows like a villain in vaudeville. "'Bout time somebody scored around here."

I fought back a hiss. In front of Charlie? That was over the line.


Woot! I never thought anyone could top J.K. Rowling. Congratulations to Stephanie Meyer and her "Twilight" series ... it seems that Hogwarts and the Potter saga is now taking a backseat to the Cullen Coven! The story is awesome ... and the Gator shout out is icing on the cake.

No comments: