Monday, August 18, 2008

Anti-Catholicism is alive and well in Fundie America!

As you might have noticed, my dear friend in Christ, Kerri, is posting her anti-Catholic rhetoric here. I have responded to one of her posts on her preaching blog where she attempts to preach Church History.

I will post my response here in case she doesn't post it ... and I encourage you all to go over and read her ideas. And do not laugh, as she believes her words to be true, to be Gospel ... and many of her readers do, too.

The URL is: http://kerri45.bravejournal.com/entry/31584

My reply:

Oh, Kerri. Once again you prove your ignorance. How sad. I would like to see a link to where you get your "facts."

To any non-Catholics reading this garbage: If you want to know the truth about the Church and its history, go to a true source -- take a class, talk to a devout Catholic, seek out a priest. Do not take the word of an anti-Catholic.


BTW: The name "The Catholic Church" was coined in the FIRST CENTURY. St. Ignatius (who DIED around 107 AD), who was the third bishop of Antioch and student of the Apostle John, stated the following in one of his writings: "See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is[administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude[of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." (Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 8-9)

Also see: http://www.cpats.org/_WhatsNew/feature_pages/CatechismForProtestantsProgram.cfm

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, you prove my points. There was indeed false teaching in the Ephesus church period. I suggest you reread what the post says. I did make one mistake, it was Cletus in AD70's and Clement was in the 80's. But the same truth applies to each including Ignatius. Maybe they were saved maybe they weren't. For sure when Ignatius referred to the "catholic" church he did not mean the "roman catholic" church of today. It didn't exist, but the seeds of false teaching were certainly in existance. It was rebuked soundly.

If indeed Ignatius was a student of John he should have paid better attention - 1Jo 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

As far as my resources I did give some, some is what I have learned from history over the years through school, preaching and the Word itself. Some of the info that helped the post was from the book I named and a very little bit from the web page I found. It wasn't a Chick site if that makes you feel better - It was just something I found in passing, didn't notice where it was from or if it was even a site that I would approve of everything on it. It was late and I hurried to finish the post.

As far as asking the Roman Catholic what they teach, I will agree, ask one - but do it with the Word of God in your hands and see if it agrees - It won't without them twisting it and applying man's interpretation. Without the traditions of men you cannot have the Roman Catholic church because that is what it is built on not the teachings of Christ.

Who I am... said...

Kerri, and you prove mine. Your grasp on factual history is slippery at best. You state that your ideas on history come from school (where?), your preaching, and the Word. (FYI: The Bible is NOT the Word of God - Christ is.) Really? Mine comes from years of intense study and from prayer.

You questiong the likes of St. Ignatius, basically proclaiming yourself to be the end-all, be-all of Christian knowledge. In effect, you are making yourself a mini-Pope as you deem your preachings on faith to be infallible and all other views to be false, heretical. It's not a new fad, look at the entire Protestant movement. Every founder of a new sect believed as you do now - that their interpretation of the Bible was the only correct one.

I do pity you because I used to be like you. Heck, most devout Baptists are. Only through letting go will your eyes -- and heart -- be opened to the truth. Right now you are so hellbent on being right that you will believe and rubbish on the internet that proves your point that you wouldn't know the truth if it walked up and bit you on the butt.

I will continue to pray for you, Kerri.

Anonymous said...

Pam, only you would interpret that as "my" preaching. I don't preach. I am a witness to what God's word says. I can't help it if you don't like what the Bible says.

Yes, Jesus is the WORD but the Bible is also God's Word whether you like it or not.

And even if you won't admit it - surely you realize that the reason the Roman Catholic church dismisses the Bible and places their interpretations of the Bible and traditions above it - is the Bible testifies against them.

In looking at the Thyatira church age (see newest post) and seeing the wickedness of the papacy and church then- how can you consider these men infallible at any time or the Roman Catholic church "the church of God" ?

As far as thinking I am infallible - no I don't - I know only too well how sinful and human I am. I do know though that God's word - the Scriptures are infallible. I know Jesus is infallible - I know the popes certainly aren't - they are just men. I also know Jesus is the ONLY way of salvation and not a church. On Jesus and His word I will depend.

Who I am... said...

Kerri,

Only you would call the papacy "wicked." LOL. I have a nasty suspicion that you are reading the Revelation series by Ray Stedman and that you, as with so many other Biblical things, completely misunderstand papal infallibility. The papacy isn't perfect, not one ever said it was.

Catholics do not disregard the Bible. For you to continue to say such shows your blatant ignorance. Catholics regard the Holy Scriptures more highly than do Protestants. We do not worship it, however, nor do we rely on our own personal interpretations. (Look in the yellow pages of the phone book under "churches" to see the ramifications of such an atrocity!)

I will have to read your post. I can't help but wonder who the Jezebel is going to be. Besides, each church didn't have it's own Pope, as there has always been ONE pontiff over all churches. Either way, I am sure I am going to hurt my eyeballs rolling them at your preaching. (Yes, honey, you are preaching!)

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of Ray Stedman - maybe I will have to look him up.